Saturday, May 7, 2011

L-1: 24W Laser Gun


This is the first shit with the new laser gun. It's a very simple design (I can make what I've got here in about 1hr now that I know what to make).

I am running into difficulty focusing the beam, however. It turns out I don't know a lot about optics (they seem so straightforward). I do have a lot of left-over lenses from the projector and I have an idea of how to re-assemble them to try and columnate the beam. In my defense, I'm facing an usual situation here. Specifically, there are 24 laser diodes putting out beams that are not totally focused and then I come in with the objective of re-focusing all those beams into a single beam. Of course, I need to have focused each beam first to make this job simple. I'm going to try and work with the imperfect unfocused beams first. We'll see how it goes.

The worse case scenario is removing all the lasers from the main housing and then milling my own laser housing with it's own fittings for all the individual laser lenses. That said, I have a hard time imagining that I'll fair better than they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment